"Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food" -Hippocrates

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Mukimame Yumm

So one thing that I have found challenging while eating healthier and not eating meat, is explaining to others that it is possible to consume enough protein without eating animal products. My roommate was eating a bowl of Mukimame (aka unshelled edamame or green soy beans) and said that they were really high in protein, so I thought I'd try some...


-Bowl a pot of water about 1/2 depending on amount 
-Add beans, corn, and other veggies that you need cooked
-Mine take about 7-10 minutes...I test occasionally for softness
12 Grams of PROTEIN and 6 Grams of Fiber :) in 1/2 cup

What I made:

1/2 cup green soy beans
1/3 cup corn
1/4 cup Quinoa (keen-wa)
dash of Cajun Seasoning for extra flavor

Salad:
Mixed Italian Greens
Yellow Pepper
Sliced Cherry Tomatoes
2 Mushrooms
Carrots
Balsamic

Total Protein: 18 grams (just including quinoa and mukimame)

I am not a huge beaning tasting person...that sounds a little odd...but these soy beans really do not have a strong taste at all, especially mixed in with corn and Cajun Seasoning.

This was really quick to prepare, and did not make me feel too full....better watch out for the fiber in all this though :)

Additional uses for mukimame:
-Chilled and added to salads
-Added to Soups
-Quick Snack
-Homemade Hummus

Mukimame is hearty, and a great source of protein and fiber!

No comments:

Post a Comment